By Hajer Nakua, Recipe Developer.
Eggs simmering in a flavorful stewed tomato sauce, spiced and flavoured to perfection… this popular North African dish requires just ONE POT and makes a delightful breakfast, brunch or lunch the whole family will ask for again and again!
- Heat up the olive oil in a saucepan. Dice the onion and garlic and add them in until they become fragrant and translucent.
- Dice the tomatoes into cubes and add them to the saucepan. Add the crushed tomato and allow to cook down for about 20 minutes.
- Add all spices and allow to simmer for 5 more minutes.
- At this point, the tomatoes should have broken down and you should have a relatively thick sauce. With your ladle, gently create 5 craters inside the tomato base.
- Crack the eggs on top of the sauce into the craters, making sure the eggs are separated from each other.
- Cover the saucepan with a lid and allow to cook for 5-8 minutes.
Tip: Leave the eggs whole if you enjoy your eggs poached, OR you can lightly stir the eggs so that they are more distributed throughout the sauce. Try both!
To serve: Garnish with parsley. Scoop 1 egg into each of 3-4 serving bowls. Spoon a generous serving of tomato mixture over the egg. Serve with whole wheat bread of choice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and tag us @amanahfitness on Instagram if you make it!!!
PS…. We’re excited to unveil something HUGE we’ve been working on since last year… ?
SHAKSHUKA NUTRITION INFORMATION
- CALORIES 160
- FAT 9.7 g
- SATURATED FAT 2.3 g
- CHOLESTEROL 205 mg
- CARBOHYDRATE 11.5 g
- FIBER 3.7 g
- PROTEIN 9.3 g
- SUGARS 6.6 g
- SODIUM 1947 mg