Salam friends! This is Amina from @hungrypaprikas – excited to share a new secretly healthy ethnic recipe with you! I got this idea from a restaurant in Kuwait, and I loved it! So I thought I would recreate it with my own take on it to make it lighter – but still heavy on flavour! With layers of crunchy nachos, bold flavours in the chicken and a lovely creamy garlic tahini dressing on top, my Shawarma plate tastes like the best Shawarma plate, without any of the guilt!
Best of all, it comes together really quickly in the kitchen so it’s the perfect weeknight meal to delight your whole family or impress your guests. You have got to make this – it’s sure to become one of your go-to favourites!
For the Tortilla Chips:
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Cut the tortilla into small triangles
- Lay the tortilla pieces in one layer on a baking sheet. Brush them lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with oregano and paprika.
- Bake for approx. 5 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Be careful not to burn the tortillas – they should be hard, crispy and golden, but not dark brown or burnt. Stay close by and watch them after 5 minutes to get the timing right!
- Set the tortilla chips aside.
For the Chicken:
- Slice your chicken into long, thin strips.
- Place all the chicken spices in a plate. Mix all the spices together along with lemon juice and olive oil into a thick paste.
- Cover the chicken with the pasta and mix well to cover. You can either cook immediately or let marinate in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight for even deeper flavours!
- When you are ready to cook, heat a skillet to medium heat. Drizzle with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Cook the chicken until well-cooked through for about 10 minutes. The outside of the chicken should develop a rich colour due to the paste, and it should smell amazing!
- Once all the chicken has finished cooking, set aside.
For the sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together and thin with water little by little to your desired consistency. For this recipe, you want a creamy liquidy dressing to pour on top of your nachos. Once the sauce is done, you’re ready to assemble!
- Arrange the tortilla chips on the bottom of a large tray
- Spoon all the chicken on top
- Garnish with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and red onion
- Drizzle heavily with the garlic tahini sauce
- Serve as a big share plate for everyone to enjoy! Dig right in with your fingers to get the nachos and scoop up all the delicious chicken and veg toppings!
Tip: If you want a less messy version of this dish, divide the chicken and veggies into 4 individual bowls. Crumble the tortilla nachos on top and drizzle heavily with the sauce so you can eat it with a fork mess-free!
Nutritional breakdown for 1/5th of the recipe (1 serving):